Job roles in law firms – buying and selling houses and flats

This article is part of our Job roles in law series which explores some of the legal sector’s practice areas and the associated job roles which may offer a starting point for someone looking to start a career in law.

What’s involved?

This area of law is called conveyancing and is carried out by law firms throughout the country.

The work involves taking details from clients and following the processes that need to be carried out to complete the sale or purchase of a property. For example if acting for a buyer, this involves carrying out searches on the property’s title in the Land Registry as well as local environmental searches, drafting a contract, liaising with the mortgage company to ensure the paperwork is in place for the money to be made available, drafting the application to the Land Registry and liaising throughout with the firm acting for the seller and with the client. The conveyancing department also acts for commercial developers on plot purchase at the beginning of a development project and subsequent house or flat sales once they are built.  Other standard work includes acting for clients wishing to increase or pay off their mortgage independently of a sale or purchase.

 What jobs are there for non-qualified staff?

This is an ideal area of work to get into without any prior legal qualifications, as a lot of the work is very standardised, such as requesting searches, and the contract and title documents are based on standard templates. See how Natalie Ducket got into this area of law.

What job titles will be advertised by recruitment agencies?

Conveyancing executive, conveyancing paralegal, property paralegal, domestic conveyancing executive, re-mortgaging paralegal, new build paralegal.  You could also apply for legal secretarial jobs in this area.

What CILEx units will support my application for these job roles?

We recommend that you enrol on courses leading to the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Conveyancing). As well as an introductory unit you will study Land Law and Conveyancing. Have a look at the tables of contents to see what is involved. You will also study two professional skills units. There are two types of property ownership in England and Wales: freehold and leasehold. The Conveyancing module covers Freehold, which is most typical. If you wish to develop further knowledge in this area you could study Residential and Commercial Leasehold Conveyancing.

If you have a qualifying law degree, you can achieve your CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma by studying Level 6 Conveyancing, Level 6 Client Care Skills and one other CILEx Level 6 practice unit of your choice, which we recommend should relate to a law unit studied as part of your degree.

 What have other students achieved?

Lucy McDonald got a job in the conveyancing department of a law firm when she left school at 16 and has recently embarked on CILEx training.

Vidyha Panchal was a law graduate working as a conveyancing paralegal when she studied for the CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma.

Natalie Duckett started as an office junior after her GCSEs and is now a Chartered Legal Executive working in conveyancing.

March 11th, 2019|
Go to Top