Job roles in law firms – claiming for personal injury and working for insurance companies in defending claims

This article is part of our Job roles in law series which explores some of the legal sector’s practice areas and the associated job roles which may offer a starting point for someone looking to start a career in law.


This area of law ensures that people who were injured through no fault of their own are adequately compensated. It covers everything from injury in a car accident to medical negligence and accidents at work. Personal injury work can involve EITHER acting for the person who has sustained the injury to get compensation OR for the insurance company against whom the claim is being made.

What’s involved?

Work involves collecting information on the facts of the case and also obtaining and reviewing medical evidence and calculating the value of the claim. If a case cannot be settled out of court it also involves ensuring that the case progresses through the court process according to the Civil Procedure Rules.

What jobs are there for non-qualified staff?

This is a good area of law to get into if you don’t have any legal qualifications as there is a lot of low value work such as for whiplash claims, which are handled through completion templates which is often delegated to unqualified staff.

Find out how Charlie Bretherick ended up working in the Medical Protection Society’s claims team after studying a non-law subject at university.

What job titles will be advertised by recruitment agencies?

Personal injury claims handler, personal injury case handler, personal injury paralegal, medical negligence paralegal, RTA (standing for Road Traffic Accident) claims handler, RTA case handler, RTA paralegal, industrial claims paralegal.

What CILEx units will support my application for these job roles?

We recommend that you enrol on courses leading to the CILEx Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice (Civil Litigation), selecting Tort as the law unit. You will study an introductory unit as well as the Law of Tort and Civil Litigation. Have a look at the tables of contents to see what is involved. You will also study two professional skills units.

If you already have a qualifying law degree, you can achieve your CILEx Graduate Fast-track Diploma by studying Level 6 Civil Litigation, Level 6 Client Care Skills and one other CILEx Level 6 practice unit of your choice, which we recommend should relate to a law unit studied as part of your degree.

What have other students achieved?

James Spargo started studying for CILEx courses when he developed an interest in personal injury law and is now a Chartered Legal Executive with The Specter Partnership.

Completing your Level 6 Diploma alongside qualifying employment – Charlie Bretherick

Charlie Bretherick is currently working towards becoming a Chartered Legal Executive. She is close to completing her CILEx Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice and intends to study for the CILEx Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice and complete her qualifying employment through her role within the Medical Protection Society’s claims team.

March 11th, 2019|
Go to Top