Qualifying employment

Academic study makes up one element of the qualification to become a Chartered Legal Executive. Another element is the requirement for three years of qualifying employment during which you achieve a prescribed number of work-based learning outcomes. One of these years must take place after you have achieved Graduate Membership of CILEx.

When do I need to start my qualifying employment?

Although there is no requirement to be in qualifying employment while you are undertaking your studies, you will qualify as a Chartered Legal Executive at the earliest possible opportunity if you achieve the first two years of your qualifying employment concurrently with your last two years of study.

What is involved?

CILEx has developed detailed rules about what sort of work meets the criteria for qualifying employment. Guidance on this aspect of the qualification, along with the handbook and all relevant forms, are available on CILEx Regulations’ website. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with this aspect of the qualification.

What if I am already in qualifying employment?

You need to make sure that the work you are doing fulfils the specified learning outcomes. You can get confirmation of this from CILEx by submitting information about the nature of your work to them. We recommend that you take the following steps:

  • Read the guidance to see whether your current employment is likely to fulfil the criteria for qualifying employment.
  • If you think it does, register with CILEx Regulation to have them confirm that your employment fulfils the criteria. A fee is payable.
  • Collect evidence as you go along to show that your work fulfils the specified competences, which are set out in the handbook.
  • Once your period of qualified employment is complete, apply to CILEx Regulation to have this element of your qualification approved. A fee is payable to have your portfolio assessed.

Further advice

If you would like to speak to someone about qualifying employment please call CILEx Regulation on 01234 845770.