The programme is designed to deliver the knowledge, skills and behaviour to meet the Paralegal Apprenticeship Standard.
All apprentices will study, and be internally tested, on ‘Foundations in Law and Professional Practice’:
Successful testing will provide exemptions towards the CILEx Level Certificate in Law and Practice upon achievement of the Paralegal End Point Assessment
Additionally they will acquire knowledge of law and practice appropriate to their job roles and pathway selected on which they will be assessed in the End Point Assessment in the final four months of their apprenticeship.
Ethics, professionalism and judgement
- Have an understanding of legal and regulatory requirements relevant to the role.
- Maintain sufficient competence and legal knowledge to work effectively – relevant law, research.
- Avoid working outside their area of knowledge and competence, seek guidance and support where needed.
- Use understanding and analysis to solve problems.
Technical Legal Practice
- Undertake legal and factual research and present the findings accurately and clearly.
- Use precedents and draft documents, using plain and succinct language.
- Assist with legal matters and transactions.
Managing themselves and their own work
- Manage work activities to ensure that they are completed on time and to an appropriate standard, including:
– Keep others informed of progress.
– Ability to work under pressure and willingness to accept changing priorities when new jobs need to be done.
– Paying appropriate attention to detail.
- Practise good file management – prepare and collate bundles, take and file accurate notes, close and review files, maintain databases, version control.
- Work in accordance with good business practice – maintain an understanding of the basic financial drivers, time recording and billing processes relevant to the role and firm.
Working with other people
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective and professional relations with others, including an ability to work with people at all levels towards achieving internal and external clients’ and team objectives.