Level 3 & Level 6 Qualification
Changes to CILEX qualifications
CILEX is introducing a new qualification from June 2021 – the CILEX Professional Qualification (CPQ). This means that CILEX Level 3 and Level 6 qualifications are being withdrawn on a phased basis. The last opportunity to enter for a CILEX Level 3 exam is June 2023 (November should be seen as a resit opportunity only). The last opportunity to enter for a CILEX Level 6 exam is June 2026.
If you are new to studying with CILEX, you should enrol on the new CILEX qualification. You can find out more about this here.
Continuing Level 3 students
If you have already embarked on your CILEX journey at Level 3, CILEX advise that you complete the qualification that you are on before transitioning to the new qualification. This means either completing the Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice or the Professional Diploma in Law. You can find advice on the units that will provide the smoothest transition to the new CILEX Professional Qualification, along with a transition tool, here.
Units to complete the CILEX Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice or Professional Diploma in Law and Practice
You can purchase either single units or packages in order to complete your Level 3 qualification. Before purchasing additional units, you should consider whether you have time to complete your course prior to the last Level 3 examination session in 2023. Please note that certain courses will not be supported by CILEX Law School beyond the June 2022 exam session. These are flagged with an asterisk below; all other courses will be supported through to the June 2023 exam session:
Single Level 3 units
- Unit 2 Contract law
- Unit 3 Criminal law
- Unit 4 Land law
- Unit 5 Tort law
- Unit 6 Employment law*
- Unit 7: Family law
- Unit 8: Wills & succession
- Unit 9: Civil litigation
- Unit 10: Conveyancing
- Unit 11: Criminal litigation
- Unit 12: Practice of Family law
- Unit 13: Practice of Employment law*
- Unit 14: Probate practice
- Unit 15: Practice of law for Elderly Client*
- Unit 16: Client Care
- Unit 17: Legal Research
- Unit 18: Practice of Childcare*
- Unit 19: Residential and Commercial leasehold conveyancing*
*Last supported exam session by CILEX Law School is June 2022
Package C: One law and one linked practice unit (for students completing either the CILEX Level 3 Certificate or Professional Diploma in Law and Practice)
- Contract Law and Civil Litigation
- Criminal Law and Criminal Litigation
- Land Law and Conveyancing
- Land Law and Residential & Commercial Leasehold Conveyancing*
- Law of Tort and Civil Litigation
- Employment Law* and Employment Practice*
- Family Law and Family Law Practice
- Family Law and Child Care Law Practice*
- Law of Wills & Succession and Probate Practice
- Law of Wills & Succession and Elderly Client Practice*
*Last supported exam session by CILEX Law School is June 2022
Package D: three mandatory law units (for students completing the CILEX Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice)
- Contract Law, Criminal Law and Land Law
- Contract Law, Criminal Law and Law of Tort
- Contract Law, Land Law and Law of Tort
- Criminal Law, Land Law and Law of Tort
Package E: two mandatory law and one practice unit (for students completing the CILEX Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice)
- Contract Law, Criminal Law and Criminal Litigation
- Contract Law, Criminal Law and Civil Litigation
- Contract Law, Land Law and Conveyancing
- Contract Law, Land Law and Civil Litigation
- Contract Law, Law of Tort and Civil Litigation
- Criminal Law, Land Law and Conveyancing
- Criminal Law, Land Law and Criminal Litigation
- Criminal Law, Law of Tort and Criminal Litigation
- Criminal Law, Law of Tort and Civil Litigation
- Land Law, Law of Tort and Conveyancing
- Land Law, Law of Tort and Civil Litigation
Continuing Level 6 students
If you have already started the Level 6 qualification, CILEX advise that you should complete this rather than transitioning to the new qualification. Please note that CILEX Law School will be withdrawing Level 6 courses over the coming years, starting with those with the lowest enrolments. Certain courses will not be supported beyond the June 2022 or January 2023 exam session.
||Last date for purchase
||Last supported exam session
|HQ01 Company and Partnership Law
HQ05 Equity & Trusts
HQ06 EU Law
HQ10 Landlord and Tenant Law
HQ12 Public Law
|31 December 2021
|HQ04 Employment Law
HQ08 Immigration Law
HQ16 Practice of Company and Partnership Law
HQ18 Criminal Litigation
HQ19 Practice of Employment Law
|31 August 2022
|HQ03 Criminal Law
||31 December 2022
|HQ02 Contract Law
HQ07 Family Law
HQ09 Land Law
HQ13 Law of Tort
HQ14 Wills & Succession
HQ15 Civil Litigation
HQ20 Practice of Family Law
HQ21 Probate Practice
HQ22 Client Care Skills
HQ23 Legal Research Skills
|Date to be confirmed, subject to demand
||Date to be confirmed, subject to demand
Please note that this schedule is indicative only. CILEX Law School reserves the right to withdraw courses earlier than notified on this indicative schedule. Depending on demand, courses may be offered for longer.
Essential course information
These courses are delivered by supported distance learning, with online and telephone support. There are no fixed enrolment dates so you can enrol at any time of year. Most courses are valid for fifteen months, however note that as we move towards final supported exam sessions, course duration will vary. You need to complete all the course study exercises and mock assignment within your enrolment.
Each unit will typically take 70 hours to complete including studying and revision. You can decide how you will allocate that time according to your other commitments.
The method of assessment for law and practice units is an examination (1½ hours’ duration), held in January and June each year, set by CILEx.
Please see the CILEx information section below for information on exam key dates and deadlines.
CILEX are no longer accepting new entrants to the Level 3 and Level 6 qualifications. You must therefore have already taken a CILEX Level 3 or Level 6 unit and be a member of CILEX in order to be eligible for enrolment.
Additional fees/costs include, where applicable:
- Live online sessions/workshops: a £10 administration fee per live session/workshop, payable at the time of booking.
- Professional skills subject champion: a £30 subject champion referral fee at Level 3 and a £75 subject champion referral fee at Level 6, where you require more than the number of markings of the assessed assignment that are included within the course fee. You can purchase a maximum of two subject champion referrals before a course is terminated. Please refer to the Skills Referral Policy for further information.
- International shipping: where you require your materials shipped internationally (outside mainland GB), you will incur a one-time postage fee of £15 for Europe and £25 for outside Europe.
- CILEx membership: anyone who wishes to sit a CILEx Level 3 exam or assessment must be a current member of CILEx. It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with and stay up to date on CILEx membership rules and regulations to ensure that you have met their conditions. You are responsible for paying the CILEx membership fee. Refer to cilex.org.uk for further information.
- Exam registration: Enrolment on a course does not constitute exam entry. You are responsible for registering to enter the relevant CILEx exam including paying the exam entry fee and making the relevant arrangements, particularly if you live overseas as you will be required to locate and organise your own external examination centre. You can find exam fee information on the CILEX website here.
Our terms and conditions, use of data and policies
For current terms and conditions, our Privacy Statement and other policies, please visit: